Want to help expand the visual impact of an award-winning magazine? Take Magazine is looking for a freelance Art Director with a hell of an eye to join our team.
Take Magazine is looking for a freelance Art Director with a multi-platform creative vision, the ability to generate and inspire original concepts, and a high level of design sophistication. You’ll join a team of committed and creative individuals and help guide our visual evolution of Take. In addition to overseeing the magazine, the Art Director will also have input into our overall brand image and will push Take’s print design to the forefront of independent publishing.
The day-to-day side of things
• Oversee the art direction and design of six issues of Take Magazine a year.
• Reports to and work with our Editor-in-Chief to establish overall design themes for each issue and brainstorm ideas for visually based stories.
• Clearly communicate layout ideas to ensure the best outcome of each story.
• Manage and adhere to established budgets for creative.
• Collaborate with editors and a freelance Photo Editor on image selection for all assigned stories.
• Hires, negotiates fees and contracts with, and directs freelance illustrators.
• Maintain involvement in all phases of design, from conception of stories to final production.
• Provide input on the Take brand’s visual development across all of our platforms to help maintain consistency and cohesion of design language throughout.
You and your skills
• Demonstrate expert knowledge of all aspects of design and production.
• You use Adobe Creative Suite like a virtuoso.
• You’ve got 5-8+ years in a design department (a plus if at a magazine) under your belt.
• At your core you have a strong understanding and appreciation for typography and possess a sophisticated yet modern design approach. You’re drawn to the new stuff as well as have solid foundation in the classic approaches to print.
• Have strong multitasking and time management skills to oversee multiple projects happening concurrently and be very familiar with a fast-paced environment.
• Adept knowledge of traditional printing and digital printing processes.
• A flexible disposition working on your own and with a team. Flexible is key–we are a startup, after all.
• An interest in people creating trends in contemporary art & culture and a desire to share their stories.
• Being a devoted print magazine junkie isn’t a requirement, but it certainly helps.
The Take Magazine Story
Take Magazine is the trusted editorial source for the culturally adventurous New Englander. Take provides readers contact with New England’s cutting-edge thought leaders and creatives offering content across both print and digital editions. All editorial content is uniquely New England; innovative in content and format with trusted editorial and delivered with high design values. We are connected to the creative community and are locally grown: built with local, creative talent.
Take Magazine is currently publishing online at www.thetakemagazine.com and will return to publishing a print edition in October/November of 2017. Take Industries is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send your resume with links to your portfolio by Friday, April 28th to Tim Fisk, Operations and Finance Director, Take Industries, firstname.lastname@example.org.